Atomo uses upcycled and sustainable ingredients – such as date seeds, chicory root, dandelion, guarana, grape skin, and watermelon seeds – to reverse engineer a beverage that has the same aroma, flavor, mouthfeel, and color as coffee without any ingredients derived from actual coffee beans.
Atomo gains precision control over the end product, and is able to avoid undesirable traits, such as overly acidic or bitter flavors, and easily fine-tune certain characteristics (e.g., caffeine levels, or enhancing aromas). Finally, Atomo Coffee is also a mission-based company, whose product revolves around a sustainability and environmental message.
Problem they solve
- Sustainability – Over 100,000 hectares of prime rainforest is clear cut every year for new coffee plantations as climate change and demand drives production to higher elevations. Coffee is also an industry rife with forced labor of children and slaves (on average, third world coffee farmers receive a paltry 10% of the eventual retail price).
- Climate change – Coffee is one of the top-5 sources of GHG emission for food products (much before Poultry & Pork!). Converting the world’s coffee consumption to Atomo would reduce carbon emissions by 250 million tons annually while giving consumers the world’s best, healthiest coffee
Why we believe
- Coffee is a huge $450B market and with very few competitors in the Molecular coffee or Alternative coffee space, they could make their own niche.
- Bedfellows’ quality: They have a great line of investors in Horizons, S2G and AgFunder, who has shown trust in them over various funding rounds and could guide them to be a market leader.
- We are already aware of the carbon footprint of a cup of coffee and hence including them in the portfolio makes as much sense as an alternative protein company.
Want to join us on our mission to fight climate change through Agri-Food revolution and discuss our value proposition?
We know taking the next big step is never easy, but if the goals are mutual, things do fall into place. Let’s discuss your idea!